Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Thursday, November 11, 2010


Today I saw two black people. TWO. In CHINA. I spoke with one of them. She was from New York and worked with the embassy. When I see a black person now, I'm like, "Hey. Dude. I get it now. I GET it."

So remember when I said Chinese people here stare at white people? Well, I do the same thing now. It's weird to see a white person, and I stare. And when Chinese people don't look back at me, I'm like, "HEY! Look at me! I'm a fucking white FREAK!"

I don't really do that, but there is sort of a "Hey, white person!" thing that goes on. You know how people with Jeeps or VW Beetles honk or wave at each other? White people do that with eye contact in China. Even if you speak French and I speak English, we're kind of like, "Hey, whitey." Or, "Bonjour, blancy."

I got an email from a guy named Johnny Wang today. First, I assumed it was spam. It was not. Second, if that's your name, how do you not legally change your name to have an exclamation point at the end of it?

"And your name?"

"Johnny Wang!"

I imagine he points at the person each time he says it. With both hands.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006