Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Monday, February 06, 2006


Man, that was not a good Super Bowl. Everything was bad. The National Anthem, the game, and the Rolling Stones??? Holy God. And the commercials were not very good.

But there are two things that I can't get over, both of which I covered in the below post. But I will still talk more about them now.

First, is the Seattle Seahawks coming out to Bittersweet Symphony. I mean, that doomed them right there. You are Seattle. Why not Hendrix? A little Purple Haze, maybe? Your uniforms are kind of purplish. Or how about Nirvana? Pearl Jam? Temple of the Dog?

OK, not Temple of the Dog. But something other than Bittersweet Symphony. Don't get me wrong. I like the song. I have the album. It's great as a first song on a mix tape or a decent ringtone, but not to come out to for the Super Bowl. Maybe it actually was a mix tape. I could see Matt Hasselbeck being like, "OK, play the first song on side two." Then when he heard Bittersweet Symphony, he was like, "No! That's side one! I said side two! You are supposed to play Hey Ya!"

They would have won if they came out to Hey Ya!

And the other thing is this Joe Montana deal. The gist: Montana didn't participate in the pregame ceremony with the other MVP's, because the NFL wouldn't give him $100,000.

There are three moments in sports that will guarantee giving me chills. Here they are, in no particular order.

1. Jesse Orosco throwing his glove in the air after throwing strike three in Game 7 of the World Series.
2. Seeing Mark Messier holding the Stanley Cup with the most uncontrollable smile ever to be seen on a grown man.
3. Joe Montana throwing the touchdown to John Taylor.

Well, Mr. Montana, I am taking my chills away from you. I don't know who I am going to give them to, but you don't get them anymore. So if I ever see that footage again, and I get chills, I will attribute them to something else. Oh, I know what! From now on, if I should get chills while seeing that touchdown, I will think of that video of the monkey picking his butt and then falling out of the tree.

OK, so here is my new list of sports* moments that give me chills.

1. Jesse Orosco throwing his glove in the air after throwing strike three in Game 7 of the World Series.
2. Seeing Mark Messier holding the Stanley Cup with the most uncontrollable smile ever to be seen on a grown man.
3. You know that video of the monkey picking his butt and then he falls out of the tree, all dramatically? That gives me the chills every time.

* If snowboarding and the skeleton can be Olympic sports, then a monkey picking his butt should at least be one of those non-medal sports.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006