Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Saturday, April 02, 2005


I am saddened tonight by the death of Mitch Hedberg. Dude was a funny man. I was just talking to someone, re-telling his "Dufresne, party of three" joke. Reading his jokes aren't the same as hearing him; it was all about his delivery. So it goes. Here are some good ones:

The thing about tennis is: no matter how much I play, I'll never be as good as a wall. I played a wall once. They're fucking relentless.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

I would imagine if you could understand Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.


You can read more here.


Photo by Leanna Bates

So Mitch is gone, the Pope is on his way out, and now I see that Frank Perdue died? This wasn't all that upsetting really, because I thought the dude was already dead. I bet he and Dave Thomas are chatting it up.

I was stuck on an N train tonight for about half an hour. It was really annoying, obviously, but even more than normal, because the conductor kept saying "We are being held by a switching problem. I apologize for any inconveniences."

Any inconveniences? You mean other than the being stuck beneath the East River on a smelly subway car inconvenience?

I know I spoke of this somewhere before. When people apologize and say "I apologize to anyone who may have been offended." Same thing with this "any inconvenience" bullshit. Almost as if we might not be inconvenienced. He's just covering his bases on the off chance someone is inconvenienced by being a prisoner on the N.

So we eventually got going. But not a fun way to end a boring Friday after work.

Hmph. Feel like I had more to say today.

Oh! Last night I got trashed with my old pal Kat. "Just a couple of drinks," we said. That turned into a couple of bars. So yeah, as you can see on her blog I left a bar of soap with a picture of a deer on it at her apartment. Why did I have a bar of soap with a picture of a deer on it? Because I'm in that hunting club, remember? So earlier in the day a friend gave me that soap and I had carried it all night. I can't wait to use the soap, because I stink, and because the deer image apparently doesn't go away after use. That is exciting.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006