Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Saturday, March 12, 2005


I stopped in a bar the other eve as I walked home from work. An Irish bar near where I live. And not just an Irish-looking bar, this is an Irish bar. Most in it are Irish, silly accents and all. Very grubby looking. Top shelf bottles are not top shelf in most places.

Anyway, a guy walked in, not Irish but obviously a regular, and he started talking to another regular, and after being asked how he was, he said, "Been better. Just got laid off from my job." I felt bad. Nearly bought him a shot.

The lady bartender, not hearing the previous words, said, "Hey Paul. What can I getcha?" Paul replied, "A gun and one bullet. If you don't have that, I'll take a pint of Bass."

He got the pint of Bass, on the house.

I sat there and thought, That man just ordered suicide. My life is kind of OK.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006