Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Monday, January 03, 2005


This is one of the worst lead paragraphs I've ever read (article):

Tsunami scientists and public safety officials are closely watching an earthquake-prone nation with thousands of miles of crowded coastlines for signs of an imminent disaster. Indonesia? Japan? Try the United States.

Indonesia? That'd make sense, since they just got clobbered. Japan? I could see that, because they're um, Asian. But the united States?! No fucking way!

That line, "Try the United States." Terrible. It's as though nothing bad can happen to the United States.

Try the greatest fucking country in the world, bitches. Yeah, that's right the fucking U.S. of A.

I think after this whole tsunami thing, we are all pretty much aware that this can happen to any place on a coast. Stop trying to scare people. It's such crappy journalism. I don't need a scientist to tell me that this could happen to the U.S. I know this now. If I am at a beach, right coast or left, and I see that the water suddenly disappears, I should run like hell. We've all learned a valuable lesson. Water that goes out quickly will come back really pissed off.

I love that CNN has been interviewing Bill Nye the Science Guy about the tsunami, and now the Mars rover. I fucking love that guy with his bow tie and knowledge of geology and rovers.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006