Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Wednesday, October 20, 2004


So I have not much to blog about. Who wants to see more pictures of Colorado? You don't? Tough poop.

On my third day, after a crappy night in Aspen where the views are beautiful but the people are ugly, I went to the Great Sand Dunes. They are these giant -- you guessed it -- sand dunes in the middle of nowhere. Not sure why they are there... I saw some signs that said it has to do with wind and shit, but I wasn't there to take an eco-lesson. I just wanted to climb my ass up some sand.

This was one of the hardest climbs I've ever done. I didn't think much of it, but when I started up there, it hit me that sand isn't all that easy to walk in, especially when it's all kinds of vertical.

Here is a picture from the bottom, somewhat far away. A lot of those people walking up there are a bunch of kids who seemed to be on a class trip that were "sledding" down the sand. They brought their own pieces of cardboard to use. Exactly how the gods intended it, I'm sure.

God of Nature: You see what I've done here is place these magnificent sand dunes at the base of these wondrous mountains. It will be a pleasure for people to marvel at and an exciting endeavor for those adventurous enough to climb!

God of Toys: Awesome! And kids can slide down that on some cardboard, right?

God of Nature: Um, no. Well, I don't follow. What do you mean?

God of Toys: Well, you've got all this sand out there for no reason. You might as well let some kids slide down it on cardboard.

God of Nature: Well, no, not at all. It is a thing of beauty to appreciate, not a something to play with.

God of Toys: Whatever, man. Kids should be able to play in this pile of shit.

God of Nature: It is NOT shit. Look, I'm just saying kids should not be sliding down and playing in this sand as if it's a giant sandbox. And this is Colorado. They get snow almost every day of the year. Don't you think they can take a break from sledding for a month or two?

God of Toys: Whatever, Nature Boy.


Anyway, here is a picture from the very top. It took longer than I thought, and produced a lot more back sweat than I anticipated. It is difficult to gauge the depths and valleys, but there were a lot of ups and downs on the way up there.

This was when the Lord was carrying me.

Here I am leaving with the dunes in the background.

It was a pretty cool thing to see. Quite unique. Anyway, I mentioned earlier the ugliness of the people of Aspen. They were just an unfriendly bunch. But the drive there was nice, what with the foliage and all. And then the next day on my drive out, it was winter all of the sudden.

Oh well, that's all for now. Except I will leave you with what is perhaps my favorite picture from my entire trip.

All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006