Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Monday, September 13, 2004


Good day, assholes!

Just kidding. I thought I'd try that whole "Be rude to the audience, that way they'll respect you more" thing. I don't think it works.

So this weekend was a beautiful weekend. Here is what I did:

Got stupid drunk on Friday.

Woke up reaching for the Advil on Saturday (although an anvil on my head would have been preferred to Advil). Glad to know I wasn't the only one with a hangover. Was up kind of early and decided to watch TV. Forgot that it was September 11th and everything on TV would be depressing. Went back to bed for a few hours. Woke up later and regretted wasting such a fine day. Contemplated going out that night, but thought it would be a bad idea. Watched X-Men. Awesome.

On Sunday I woke up early, had a nice breakfast at some cafe that I might go back to. Read some of the New York Times. But only some. That shit is huge! Read some shit about assholes in China polluting rivers and people dying of cancer. Assholes! The polluters, not the cancer victims. Then I went to a watering hole called The Irish Rover and watched six hours of football. Despite doing a lot of drinking, I was quite not drunk. It was another splendid day outside, which I spent in a dank bar with a bunch of dudes who would say things like, Yes! and Come on! and Get him! and Fuck!

I got home, hoping to watch some Simpsons and then Arrested Development, but the geniuses at Fox decided to put on Deuce Bigalow, Piece of Crapalo. So I thought I'd hit the hay, but I couldn't fall asleep. So I watch X-Men 2. Even more awesome.

Now here I am at work, pulling a later shift than normal.

I have nothing important to say about September 11 this year. I did, however, read an article in The New York Times Magazine where the author talked about people being "so over" 9/11. It made some good points and it kind of related to what I talked about last year, where I said I didn't want to forget what those days afterwards felt like. I don't think people are forgetting, but it's getting easy to not think about, thanks in part to time, and to politicians cramming it into our jugulars.

Here is one thing I do remember in the week or so after September 11th. People were so much nicer when they were in traffic. I remember everyone just sitting there, as if they were stoned, staring straight ahead, taking polite turns when lanes merged into one another, letting people in front of them without having a heart attack. Not a horn to be heard.

Of course, it's not like that anymore. There seem to be more assholes than ever honking their horns. Those assholes should go to China and pollute some rivers with those river polluting assholes.

That's a good name for a band. The River Pollutin' Assholes!
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006