Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Tuesday, July 20, 2004


Every once in a while when someone asks me to do something I feel I shouldn't have to do because I've already done a lot, I want to yell, "I've done my time on Maple Drive!"
 
The problem is that most people won't get it. There was an old Made for TV movie way back when, starring Jim Carrey who played an alcoholic who returned to his family home. The title of the movie was "Doing Time On Maple Drive." Late in the movie during a pivotal scene, he yells at someone (his mom, I think), "I've done my time on Maple Drive!"
 
I always thought that was hilarious. I like when movie titles are actual pieces of dialogue. Sometimes they work well: "I'm sending you back... to the future!" And sometimes they are terrible: "I've done my time on Maple Drive!"
 
Anyway, if I ever tell you that I've done my time on Maple Drive, and then I walk away crying and muttering something about how I like drinking whisky, now you know the reference.

All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006