Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Thursday, June 24, 2004


Last night I saw Super Size Me. I thought I'd have a lot more to say about it, because as I was watching it, I had a lot to think about. I'm not sure what to say about it, though. It's enjoyable and mighty scary to see what McDonald's can do to a man.

If you are not familiar with the film, basically a perfectly healthy guy eats nothing but McDonald's for one month. And I do mean nothing. There is one point where his nutritionist tells him, "I really wish you'd take a multi-vitamin." He replies, "I don't think they sell those at McDonald's."

About three weeks in, one of his three doctors tells him that if he continues at this pace, he could die. His liver became that fucked up. It was insane. Granted, most people don't eat that much McDonald's, but the fact that it has that potential is frightening. Even the doctor said something like, "I knew this was not a good idea, but these results are appalling." And oh yes, he gained 25 pounds. In a month.

Watching this movie was like one of those "Scared Straight" programs. I think I may never eat at McDonald's again. Or at least the next month. Or this week. Well, regardless, I promise you I will not eat McDonald's today.

Anyway, you should see the film, and if you are a health teacher at a middle school or a high school, you should show it to your students. And you should also lobby your school to serve good food to kids, rather than shovels full of shit and sugar.

Anyway, there was another point in the movie where the guy woke up at 2 AM and he was describing symptoms he was having, which totally reminded me of my heart palpitations. So once again, I'm asking for a voluntary nutritionist.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006