Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Monday, June 14, 2004


Every week, I get these emails from a site called NYC Bloggers. They ask three questions that are topics for the week. I'm not sure what they do with the answers, but I figured I'd answer them this week, just because I'm bored.

Are Random Subway Searches Constitutional?

I believe they are not. Isn't that the 7th Amendment? The right to not have your shit searched on the subway. If anything, they'll just be a nuisance for us non-terrorists. You know they'll be told to profile Arab-looking men, but to make it look like they are truly "random", cops will be told to pick a few non-Arabs here and there. I was once on line at the ticket counter at the airport, soon after 9/11. I was behind two Arab men. You knew their shit was getting searched. They were cool about it. They knew too. There was also another foreign family (Eastern European, I believe) whose bags were getting a full cavity search. When I got to the ticket counter, soon after the Arab men were led away, I was asked to follow a security guard. They "searched" my bag. Basically moved a few things around my carefully packed bag and talked to me about where I was heading. I have a feeling someone was like, "Hey, send back a white guy. Too many foreigners back here making us look racist."

Should Pro-Choice Politicians Be Denied Communion?

Hell yes. Not only that, but they should be met by protestors in front of the priest holding up signs that say "God hates fags." I know that doesn't pertain to abortion, but it's damn effective. Whenever someone talks to me about God, I'm like, "Oh yeah, I heard of that guy. Hates fags, right?"

Should the Fresh Kills Landfill in Staten Island Be Made Into a 9/11 Memorial Park?

To be honest here, I don't think so. While I'm all for nice memorials, I don't want to see the tri-state area turned into 9/11 Memorial Land. They have an opportunity to turn that shit dump into a huge park, so anything to make Staten Island a little bit nicer should be done. Not that a memorial wouldn't be nice, but I don't think we should get carried away.

But what do I know? I'm just some jerk typing on a computer.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006