Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Friday, April 09, 2004


Heroin must be fucking awesome. I was on the subway yesterday and saw this guy crumpled up in a ball at the end of a seat. At first I thought he was just sleeping (although way too comfortable for the subway), perhaps drunk. Then he dropped a cigarette that was dangling from his hand. He went to reach down and pick it up and all he did was kind of knock it around a bit. He couldn't even squeeze his fingers together to pick it up. He didn't even try. I thought to myself, That looks like a guy who'd be on heroin. Then I saw the trackmarks on the vein of the top of his hand. Pretty nasty.

He was kind of all dressed up, though. Not like going to work on Wall Street dressed up, but you could tell he took some time to put his wardrobe together. Even heroin addicts are concerned about their appearance. "When I'm all laid out in a heroin-induced coma on the subway, I want to look my best."

Despite the track marks and the obvious dead end this guy's life is on its way to, he still looked pretty content. Or at least comfortable. Which makes me believe that heroin must be awesome.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006