Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Monday, February 02, 2004


I think we can all agree that the Super Bowl commercials sucked. Two million dollars for 30 seconds. Budweiser spent two million dollars to show that one with the horse farting in a girl's face. Apparently they are now hiring eight-year-olds to do their advertising. Couldn't they donate that money to a pediatric AIDS foundation or cancer research? Of course, my dad thought it was gangbusters, so maybe it was worth the two mil.

I was at my mother's house in New Jersey for the big game. Yesterday was also my older sister's birthday, so we had a little surprise party for her. The gal is 30. Here is an interesting note about my sisters' and my birthdays: Each one of us has had a tragedy to coincide with the day of our birth.

First, Laurie had the Challenger explode on her birthday back in 1986. Then last year, on February 1, my sister Christina's birthday, the Space Shuttle Columbia blew up. And perhaps the worst tragedy of all, on my birthday, September 27, back in 1947, Meat Loaf was born. What a horrible horrible day.

So I got to see Uncle Hank yesterday. He was pretty awesome. Nothing too memorable was said. He was actually overshadowed by my Uncle Joe. Uncle Joe is my mother's cousin who somewhat resembles Mel Brooks. Yesterday at some point in the evening, there was an unusual silence in the conversation, when Uncle Joe said out of nowhere, "Can you believe White Castle raised the price of their hamburgers to 49 cents? (Another pause... no one responds) Man, I love those burgers."

OK, halftime show. The American Flag has never looked better than it did when worn as a poncho by Kid Rock. In case you were wondering what that rumbling was when he came out wearing that, it was all of our founding fathers rolling over in their graves simultaneously.

Janet Jackson's boob... I only wrote that so people would get to my site by searching for photos of her boob. I loved the statement release by Justin Timberlake. "I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl." Wardrobe malfunction. Brilliant spin. Luckily, Janet was wearing her nipple broach. Probably handed down through her family. I'm sure at one time it was her grandmother's.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006