Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Tuesday, February 10, 2004


I switched schedules with this girl named Gina today. I was able to wake up after the sun, which is always nice. I had time to do stuff before work. Not that I actually did anything, but the point is, I had the time. Even time to shave! How exciting. So that's all I did with my extra time. I shaved and watched 20 minutes of Ellen. The show, Ellen, not my neighbor, Ellen. I don't know if I have a neighbor named Ellen, but if I do, she might read this and think I was peeping at her.

It is sometimes frustrating to work so early. It's nice that I leave earlier than most and I miss the majority of the insane part of rush hour, but I also start to get nervous if I'm awake past 10:00. I just start thinking how miserable I'll be the next day. I've never been a morning person, but now that I am always up in the morning, I am, by default, a morning person. I am not necessarily extra grumpy in the morning, but I'm definitely not the stereotypical morning person. I imagine that as someone who wakes up at 5:00, smiles, jogs three miles while smiling, gets home, tosses open the drapes and laughs, cooks a huge breakfast with pancakes in the shape of a smile, gets to work and just bugs everyone with their happiness. I've yet to meet this person. I think they only exist in coffee commercials.

For me to be awake in the morning is quite an accomplishment. I've always been known as quite lazy. I'm still lazy. I just get up earlier to get the laziness off to a proper start. Whenever I'd be on vacation with friends, I was always the last one to wake up. I was diagnosed with "Toolieosis". But now I wake up before most everyone else. I still have Toolieosis, though. The symptoms are sitting on a couch for hours, watching SportsCenter at least twice, then switching over to MTV for something completely mind numbing.

One thing I hated when I used to sleep late was the snobby way other people would act. "You woke up at noon? I've been awake since seven!" My dad was always the worst with that. Of course, he'd fall asleep at 7:30 while the History Channel blasted World War II in the background. Then he'd wake up at four and be all noisy.

Do I have a point to this? Not really. Just wanted to let you know you aren't better than anyone if you happen to wake up earlier. Except in my case. I'm so much more awesome at seven than I am at eleven.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006