Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Friday, February 06, 2004


After work yesterday, I walked over to the Ed Sullivan theater where the David Letterman was taping. They set up a huge ramp designed for snowboarders outside, which was about four stories high. Being that my building is right across the street, I decided to see what was up. The show just started taping and it looked like they were getting ready to jump.

So first, there was a guy who came down the ramp, and to be honest, it wasn't very exciting. I was about to leave and then someone else came out to jump, so I decided to wait. It was a lady, so I thought that if anyone was going to crash, it'd be her. Because we all know chicks can't do things right. Am I right, fellas? So she came down and she got off to a very shaky start at the top of the ramp, but she came down, hit the jump and landed fine. I figured they were probably done, so I left. I walked by it again about 10 minutes later and there were ambulances all over the place. Damn! I missed something.

Turns out when the girl went again, she hit the jump wrong and landed on the pavement. When I saw the news, I realized she would have hit right in the vicinity of where I was standing. I could have recognized that she was a damsel in distress and I could have saved her! Damn! I coulda been a hero.

So the lesson here is: Never leave a place early when there is a chance for human tragedy. You can end up being a hero, or at least end up with something more interesting to put on your blog.

She is doing fine, in case you were wondering. She should have been wearing a helmet.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006