Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Thursday, December 11, 2003


In my office, we have a box for people to put canned goods for a holiday food drive, courtesy of the good people at City Harvest. There are currently three cans in there. Three cans of Hearts of Palm. After doing a little research, I found that this used to be called "swamp cabbage."

There are a lot of people in my office. I can see about 20 from where I am sitting, and all we can come up with is three cans of Hearts of Palm. My theory on this is that someone in this office was once quite poor. Poor enough to get donations from non-profit organizations. Once, a long time ago, they probably got three cans of Hearts of Palm and never opened them. Starving and poor, they actually decided to not eat the Hearts. Now that they have a job and they can afford their own cans of crappy food, they just dumped those Hearts right back in the City Harvest box. It's their way of giving back.

We also have a box for a coat drive. There is one coat in there.

Homeless people of the city, do not fear. You will soon have three cans of Hearts of Palm to consume and a jacket to share. Things are looking up.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006