Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Saturday, December 20, 2003


I just saw Return of the King. There may be some spoilers ahead, so be wary. You may also not give a shit about Lord of the Rings, in which case, you might want to skip this post altogether.

So the movie was good. Damn good. It contains, perhaps the most amazing battle scene ever (I'll have to watch Braveheart again to confirm that). The only problem with the movie was much of the last twenty minutes, which will from here on out be known as Gay Hobbits Hugging and Crying Time.

And unfortunately, the worst actor in the movie is Elijah Wood. Go here for an accurate description of his acting (although I don't necessarily agree with the thoughts on Gollum and Sam). Elijah really is a one trick pony, and that one trick sucks.

I am already looking forward to seeing the extended edition that will be released on DVD. Once I saw The Two Towers extended version, I liked it so much more. I think that the first one is still my favorite, probably because I wasn't expecting it to be so awesome. I don't know. It's all pretty much awesome. It shits on the Matrix and pisses on Star Wars, so I'll accept the Gay Hobbits Hugging and Crying Time, and just focus on the awesome ass-kicking battles and the real dramatic scenes, which take place mostly with the humans and elves. Aragorn really is the driving force of this movie (plus, he's dreamy!)

I'm sure I will probably go see it again in the dead of January and I'll find more and more awesome things about it. Just not the gay things. Like that one scene where Sam and Frodo try to convince Gollum they should have a three-way. It just seemed out of place, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the book.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006