Blogging Like I've Never Blogged Before

Tuesday, November 25, 2003


Whenever I fly back to New York from somewhere else, there is always something that happens almost immediately that enforces the fact that I am in New York. Last night, I walked out of the airport to get a cab and some guy was sitting in a cab, but there was no driver. I have no idea what was going on, but he was yelling at the person in charge of assigning people to cabs. The porter, I guess. The guy in the cab yelled, "I am two minutes away from calling the TLC. Someone better get in this cab and drive!"

He is going to call TLC?! I got excited, thinking that maybe the crew from Trading Spaces would show up, except it would be Trading Taxis, where cab drivers get new steering wheel covers and air fresheners. Turns out TLC stands for the Taxi and Limousine Commission. I was bummed. I don't know what this argument was all about, but there was one pissed off guy, his pissed off girlfriend and a few confused cab drivers yelling at each other. It's always nice to get back here and witness crap like that. It just makes me laugh. If tourists see that, you know they'd be freaked out right off the bat.

Something like this is always a nice reminder that you live in New York. Like that time when I got back from Colorado where I got stabbed in the neck at the baggage claim.
All material © Mike Toole; 2003 - 2006